Thursday, February 24, 2011

Soft Spoken Snow Days

 If you've never been to the the Pacific Northwest region of the U.S.(Washington, Oregon, and Northern California), you may want to be informed of the bipolarity of our weather patterns. I've lived here for my whole 14 years and I'm still not entirely accustomed to it. Nobody is. All you really know is that if there's a chance of rain, there will be. The only trivial thing about our rain is how much will come down from the clouds.
 Yesterday when I was leaving my school it was sunny and probably 50 degrees outside. By the time the clock struck 10, there were flurries outside. And this morning at 5 AM, my sister woke me up and showed me there was an inch of accumulation outside. This was a wonderful surprise to me and the only downside is that I never got back to sleep. I'm one of those people that spend an hour falling asleep and can only do so once a night with lights off, little to no noise, and in a good position. This is why I don't get much sleep. I'll get back to the original subject.
 I spent most of my sleepless morning staring out the window and listening to my iPod, just sipping the sight of the snow. Sipsightsnow. Heehee. Later on a walk I discovered that most of the songs in Owl City's album "Maybe I'm Dreaming" are great soundtracks to the snow, namely "The Saltwater Room" and "The Technicolor Phase". Other than listening to music and eating snowflakes, my day was mostly empty and somehow blissfully so. The only way to spend my day that I like better than lazily rolling through is making an art of it, and since I've spilled my thoughts on my blog here, I feel like I've done a little bit of both today. Mostly the lazy part, though. I can live with that.
 Snow inspires me. Something in the way it floats down without a signal and absorbs all the sound is so graceful, it's almost like I see it dancing during its gentle descent. So... Flowing, magnificent, surpassing, amazing, astounding, arriving... I could think of adjectives all night. I've been thinking of writing a song of it, if only I was so artistically inclined. The lyrics come so naturally to me, it's the music I can't get from my head. Plus, I can't really play any instrument and I haven't a way to record it if I did. Sometimes I just want to spend a day with Adam and talk music. It seems like the only way of thinking for me. Music seems so unattainable.
 Snow days will have to speak for themselves for now.

No comments: